How to Use Jr, Sr, II, III, etc. (with Cartoons)

October 20, 2013 Josiah Schmidt CartoonsTutorial

Ever wondered what qualifies a person to put a “II” or “III” after their name, or what the difference is between a “II” and a “Jr”?  Learn how to use generational suffixes, with a little help from cartoons.  (Who doesn’t love cartoons?)

Rule #1: Parent & Child with Same Name = Sr. + Jr.

This one is pretty easy.  You undoubtedly already know it.  Any parent and child with the exact same legal name can be referred to as “(Name), Sr.” and “(Name), Jr.”  Below, Barnabas Ludwig Johnson named his son Barnabas Ludwig Johnson also, so they can be called Barnabas Ludwig Johnson, Sr., and Barnabas Ludwig Johnson, Jr.

Suffixes1

Rule #2: In Order to Use Suffixes, Names Must be EXACTLY the Same

This is a rule that is abused a lot.  Unless the full name of two related individuals is entirely, exactly the same (first name, any and all middle names or lack thereof, and last name), then they cannot correctly use suffixes.  Though the New England blueblood Beavis Winston Purple would like to use suffixes with his and his son’s name, in order to sound more prestigious, he cannot correctly do so, because he gave his son a different middle name than his own middle name.

Suffixes2

Rule #3: For More than Two Same-Named Individuals, Use Roman Numeral Suffixes

What if there are more than two same-named individuals in the Johnson family?  Then, they can use Roman numeral (i.e. I, II, III, IV, etc.) suffixes after their name, to designate the order in which they were born.

Suffixes3

Rule #4: “Sr.” and “Jr.” Only Apply to LIVING Parents and Children

If a parent and child are using the suffixes “Sr.” and “Jr.”, but the parent dies, then they are referred to merely as “(Name) I” / “(Name), the first” and “(Name) II” / “(Name), the second”.  Should Barnabas Ludwig Johnson Sr. tragically die, his son would now be called Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II, and the deceased father would now be lovingly remembered by the name Barnabas Ludwig Johnson I.  Continuing to call the son “Jr.” (unless “Junior” had simply become his nickname), would create confusion, as it would indicate that his father were still alive.

Suffixes4

Rule #5: Roman Numeral Suffixes Are Allowed to Skip Generations

If a person is named after an ancestor such as a grandparent or great grandparent, the Roman numeral suffixes still apply.  The elder can be called “(Name) I” and the younger can be called “(Name) II”.

Let us imagine that a century ago, there was a man named Barnabas Ludwig Johnson, who had a son named Barnabas Astredo Johnson.  They would not be “Sr.” and “Jr.”, or “I” and “II”.  But if Barnbas Astredo Johnson were to name his son Barnabas Ludwig Johnson, after the child’s grandfather, then Barnabas Astredo Johnson’s son would be Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II, and the original Barnabas would become Barnabas Ludwig Johnson I.  And, of course, if Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II has a son of the same name, that son could be called Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III.

Suffixes5

Rule #6: “Sr.”/”Jr.” and Roman Numeral Suffixes Can be Used Together

Someone can use both the “Sr.” or “Jr.” suffix and/or a Roman numeral suffix if they so wish.  If our Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II below and his son, Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III, are both still alive, then the former can be called “II” and/or “Sr.”, while the latter can be called “III” and/or “Jr.”

Suffixes6

Rule #7: REMINDER: Once Dead, “Sr.” and “Jr.” Suffixes Cannot be Used

If Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II Sr. dies, then his son, Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III Jr., becomes simply Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III.  The son does not stay “Jr.” after the death of the “Sr.”  That way, if Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III grows up and wants to give his son the same name, then Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III can now call himself “Sr.”, and his son, Barnabas Ludwig Johnson IV, could use the suffix “Jr.”

Suffixes7

Rule #8: Same-Named Uncles and Nephews Can Use Roman Numeral Suffixes

If someone is named after their uncle, then the uncle and nephew can use Roman numeral suffixes to indicate their same-namedness and their relatedness.  Let us imagine that the old, venerable Barnabas Ludwig Johnson I had two sons: one named Barnabas Astredo Johnson, and one named Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II.  If Barnabas Astredo Johnson has a son named Barnabas Ludwig Johnson, then Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II (aka “crazy uncle Barney”) can proudly declare, from the safety of his padded cell, that his nephew is named Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III.  If Barnabas Ludwig Johnson III has a same-named son, then crazy great uncle Barney can take comfort in knowing that his legacy will be preserved in a Barnabas Ludwig Johnson IV.

Suffixes8

Rule #9: Even Cousins Can Use Roman Numeral Suffixes; Numerals Go In Order of Birth

If a man has a nephew named after him, then the uncle gets the first number suffix, and the nephew gets the second number suffix.  But if the uncle then has a child of his own, also of the same exact name, then his own son takes the third number suffix. Or if the uncle first has a same-named son, then they take the first and second numeral suffixes, and if the uncle afterward has a nephew named after him, then the nephew gets the third number suffix.  What matters is birth date.

If, in the Johnson family tree, crazy uncle Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II, has an even crazier son in 1972 and gives him the same name (so that all the relatives know whom to avoid at the family reunions), then the pair become II and III.  If crazy uncle Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II’s saner brother, Barnabas Astredo Johnson, later (in the year 1974, for example) has a son named Barnabas Ludwig Johnson, then that one becomes Barnabas Ludwig Johnson IV.  Chronology is what matters.

Suffixes9

Rule #10: REMINDER: Chronology Determines Order of Roman Numeral Suffixes

It is possible that a man can have a grandson named after him (thereby becoming I and II), and then that grandfather can still have another son of his own, who would be called III, despite being the uncle of II.

For instance, let us imagine that the original Barnabas Ludwig Johnson gets a grandson named after him in 1974.  Grandfather and grandson become Barnabas Ludwig Johnson I and Barnabas Ludwig Johnson II.  However, Barnabas Ludwig Johnson I, who has been widowed, gets lonely and decides to remarry to a young and pretty woman, who then bears him one more son in his old age.  This son is born in 1975, but also gets named Barnabas Ludwig Johnson.  In this case, the person in the first generation is I, the person in the next generation is III, and the person in the next generation is II.  Once again, what matters is not the order in which they are situated in the family tree, but rather what order they are born in.

Suffixes10

Rule #11: Same-Named Siblings Can Use Roman Numeral Suffixes

Even same-named siblings can use Roman numeral suffixes to indicate their relation to one another.  While it is rare for two siblings to have the exact same name, it might often happen in older days when one child died in infancy, and then the next child to be born was named after their deceased older sibling (this is called a “necronym”).

Let us return to the prestigious Purple family.  Beavis Winston Purple might not be able to use a “II” suffix after his son Beavis Wilford Purple’s name… unless Beavis Wilford Purple had an older brother (either alive or deceased) who was also named Beavis Wilford Purple.  Then, the older brother would be “I” and the younger brother would be “II”.

Suffixes11

Rule #12: Females Can Use Suffixes, but Typically Don’t

There is no rule saying that females cannot use suffixes like “Sr.”/”Jr.” and/or Roman numerals, but they usually do not do so, because–at least in Western society–females typically change their last name when they marry.  Therefore, if a woman imparts her legal name to her daughter, the mother and daughter can be called “Sr.” and “Jr.” if they so wish.  Should the daughter marry, and legally change her name however, the mother and daughter would cease to be “Sr.” and “Jr.”, as they no longer have the same exact legal name.

Let us imagine that the wealthy Beavis Winston Purple falls in love with the equally wealthy Angelique Faversham Highsmith.  His wife decides to take his surname, and legally becomes Angelique Faversham Purple.  Beavis and Angelique have a daughter, whom they also name Angelique Faversham Purple.  Mother Angelique can be called “Sr.” and/or “I”, while daughter Angelique can be called “Jr.” and/or “II”.  At least, until the daughter becomes a punk rocker and has her name legally changed to just “Purple”.

Suffixes12

ancestryauntscartoonscomiceducationalfamilyfamily treefunnygenealogygrandparentsheritagehumornamesnamesakenamingnephewsniecesreunionsuffixestreetutorialuncles

208 Responses to “How to Use Jr, Sr, II, III, etc. (with Cartoons)”

• Joe says:

If a child is named exactly after the maternal grandfather, will that child be a II?

• Yes, indeed! If they have the same first, middle, and last name.

• Ben says:

What if the child is named for his maternal grandfather, who is the third of his name, taking his first name, last name as his middle name, and the patrilineal last name: Beavis Winston III (paternal grandfather), Beavis Winston Purple IV (grandson). Is this commo/accepted practice anywhere?

• Geo. R. Inch says:

My son disowned us. He had the exact same name as I do and we called him Junior. He’s now changed his name. Actually he’s also now a her. So I seem to not be a Sr. anymore.
      But we have two dogs and a cat and I am going to name them the same as me and our son. I know which dog is older, so following me and my son they are III and IV.
      My question is about the cat. I don’t know his age but he seems mature. Is it okay to name him George R Inch Jr. since my son no longer uses this name but is still alive and acts like he doesn’t even know us?

• Mark Belfon says:

my name is Mark Marcus Belfon i have a son that is Mark Marcus Belfon Jr if i have another son can i name him Mark Marcus Belfon and what suffix can be used in this instance. Thank you.

• If your name is Mark Marcus Belfon and you had two children named Mark Marcus Belfon, then you would become Mark Marcus Belfon I, your first son would be Mark Marcus Belfon II, and your second son would be Mark Marcus Belfon III.

• This is wrong. A father can name his son after him one time. The son can name his child after him one time. A father can not name two son’s by the same name. It would one make know since and two it would be illegal to do so.

• I’m not sure what the law is on giving the same name to two living children, but it has been very common throughout history (especially in Germany) for a man to name a son after him, have that son die, and then have another son who gets the same exact name as the deceased son.

• Alex says:

How exactly is it illegal to name your children the same name? THAT makes “no sense,” and it is completely untrue. H

• Brooke says:

It would be illegal if they were twins

• Eric says:

There are no limits as to how many children you can give the same name. George Forman is a perfect example to this, all of his sons are named George Forman. I personally have two brothers named Bill, named after my father. My oldest brother is the II and my youngest brother is the III. THERE ARE NO NAMING LAWS IN THE US

• Debdtexas says:

It’s obviously not illegal, look at George Foreman. Five of his sons are named: George Jr., George III (“Monk”), George IV (“Big Wheel”), George V (“Red”), and George VI (“Little Joey”).

• Keagan says:

You’re a dumbass. How would that be illegal?

• Nadine says:

So… if my husband is named after his dad (living) but his mom took him away and dad thought he wasn’t going to ever see him again. He named another son after himself as well. So, now I’m pregnant with… Martin IV?

• Harold Victor Petty says:

The first son has exactly the same name as his father and therefore would be known as Jr. When the Father is deceased does the son then become Snr or remain known as Jr.
    Logically he should remain as Jr to avoid any misunderstanding.

• Neither. After his father’s death, he ceases to be a “junior” and becomes II (the second).

• Raymond Bryant says:

You state this as if it is a hard and fast rule. I disagree. I am a Jr., and that appears on my birth certificate. Since it is there, it also appears on my driver’s license, my passport, my will, and all other legal documents, even though my father died 23 years ago. In addition, my father never felt the need to designate himself as Sr., so no documents exist that show him that way. My mother’s solution to having two Raymonds was to give me an unrelated nickname – Rickey. I still go by Rick, and will sign letters to friends and family that way, but never on a legal document.

• Eric says:

He will not become Sr until he has a son and gives him the same name. If he has a son and gives him the same name, he will become II/Sr and his son will be the III/Jr

• David DeHoog says:

Example: My father has the name John James Smith, I have the name John George Smith. Can I put the roman numeral “II” after my mine and then when I have a son name him John Frank Smith III? If the first and last names are the same does the middle really matter that much?

• Technically speaking, if a father is John James Smith and a son is John George Smith, they are not Senior and Junior, nor are they I and II. Of course, America is a free country, and you can put “Jr” after your name even if your name is “Bob” and your father’s name is “Splorch”. :) People often incorrectly use the terms “Sr” and “Jr” — for instance, the 43rd US President George Bush is often wrongly referred to as “George Bush, Jr.”, although he and his father have different middle names. According to formal convention, the full name (including the middle name) must be exactly the same as an ancestor for a suffix to be used.

• Geo. R. Inch says:

For the love of Pete! Doesn’t anyone actually read the article before asking questions? It’s all in cartoons!
        All these questions are already answered!
        You people are making fools of yourselves.

• Gladys Belen says:

Therefore, my husband who used to be a JUNIOR isn’t a junior at all since his and his father ‘s MIDDLE NAMES are not the same? I had a miscarriage but we wanted our next child to have the same name we gave our departed baby. Will we use te suffix “II” then?

• Technically, he’s not a junior if his middle name is different, but there’s nothing stopping him from having the nickname “Junior”. Technically, two children (one of them perhaps being deceased) with the same exact name would be “I” and “II”, but there’s no rule that says one must put a “II” behind the second child’s name, unless the parents want to. :)

• Jaclyn says:

Can my father-in-law and husband still go by Sr. and Jr. if we are naming our son III or do they need to change to I and II?

• Sio Hdz says:

I want to name my son after his dad and grandfather, both have the same name but my father-in-law is Deceased could i still use the suffix Jr in his name? Or what suffix should i use?

• Kevin says:

If I legally changed my middle name to match my father’s (we already have the same first/last names) could I put “IV” after my name? He is a “III” and I would like to carry on the family naming tradition. In other words, do you have to have the name at birth?

Whether or not it will offend my mother (who chose my middle name) is another story.

• Janet says:

I know of a man who’s name is listed on his birth certificate as John Paul Smith II. He is named after his grandfather.
    What happens when his beloved grandfather dies? Does he remain “II”?

• John says:

my name is John A. Smith and my wife is Sarah B. Smith. Our son will get the name B. Smith, of course. I want to name my son after my father who is Jack C. Smith. Should I name my son Jack B. Smith, II ?

• Robin says:

What if we wanted to name our son after my husbands grandfather? First, middle and last name? What would he be?? A II or a JR?

• Alan Saunders says:

The first Harry Edward was born in 1900.

The second Harry Edward was his nephew and born in 1920. He never went by Harry Edward II and the families did not stay particularly close.

The third Harry Edward was the son of the first and born in 1930. They went by Sr and Jr.

The fourth Harry Edward was the son of the second and born in 1952. They also went by Sr and Jr.

I was not named after my father (the 4th), but I would like to name my son after him. It seems as if I could go with III (because my grandfather never acknowledged being named after his uncle) or V (because he would literally be the fifth related Harry Edward). I also guess I don’t technically have to give him a suffix because all of the others are deceased. Which would be best?

• Eventually, in any family, branches of cousins grow so far apart that it is no longer possible to keep track of the Roman numeral suffixes on both sides and each branch must ignore the numbering of the other branch, even though they both share common ancestors. Where families make the cut off is arbitrary. If two cousins of the same name, who were both named after their grandfather (the “I”), both wanted to claim the suffix of “II”, that is up to them. If the first born cousin wanted to claim II and the second born cousin wanted to claim III, that would also be an acceptable naming convention.

• Oscar Mora says:

I have the same name as my dad and uncle but they don’t have an middle name but I do, will I be the third

• If they do not have the same middle name as you then you would not technically be the third. You might call your dad “Oscar the Elder” and yourself “Oscar the Younger” to differentiate though.

• Matt Brady says:

So, let’s say a person, Michael Smith IV, whose great-grandfather, grandfather, and father were all Michael Smith Sr., Michael Smith Jr., and Michael Smith III respectively, did not have any sons. But Michael Smith III, his father had only 2 sons, Michael IV and Matthew.
    And maybe his brother, who is also the son of Michael Smith III but named differently (“Matthew Smith”) had a son that he decided to name “Michael Smith” after his previous 3 generations and his brother, would that son of his be “Michael Smith V?”

• AO says:

Thank you for a great page with so many examples. They all seem to make perfect sense.

A question though: are there references for these conventions (dictionaries, etiquette books, etc) or are they what you have found through your own experience? Some people have suggested to me that using the III after anything other than a Jr. Is incorrect and I want to show that that is not the case.

• Hi AO!

This suffix naming convention become popular in Western society in the Enlightenment era, when proto-industrialization started introducing some class mobility to Western society. The suffix naming convention had previously only been a trait of monarchs, aristocracy, and popes. As increasing industrialization made it possible for poor people to “strike it rich”, people in lower and lower stations began to try to emulate the elite and one of the ways they emulated the elite was by giving themselves generational suffixes like “II” and “III”. Therefore, our generational suffix conventions are modeled on those of the European royal family and the Roman Catholic popes.

For instance, although there had been 23 Pope Johns and 6 Pope Pauls by the time that Albino Luciani ascended to the papacy in 1978, when Luciani took the papal name “John Paul”, he became “John Paul I”, because he took a different middle name than his penultimate predecessor, Pope John XXIII.

This convention is present in aristocracy and royal families as well. For instance, in the House of Habsburg, there was Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, who lived in the early 1500s. In those days, they did not use last names, so Charles’s “legal” name would have been “Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor.” In this instance, “Holy Roman Emperor” would have been something like a surname to him. Even though Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, had 3 descendants with the name Charles, none of them were known as Charles VI, because they all had different legal names. One was “Charles, Prince of Asturias,” another was “Charles, Prince of Spain,” and another was “Charles II, Prince of Spain”. It would not be until the late 1600s, when a great great great grand nephew of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, was born, who was Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor.

The old political and religious elite serve now as the model for us common folk who wish to preserve our family legacy by embodying our lineage in our names.

• Marie Hunter says:

Hello,

We are having a 3rd son and we are naming his 1st name after my husband’s grandpa and his middle after my grandfather. So, the 1st and last name are the same of paternal grandfather, but the middle name is different. Will the new baby be the I (1st) or will be have no suffix? Thank you for such a great site.

• Susan says:

Hi! We didn’t realize that our son could be a “ll” (my husband has a different middle name, but we named our son after his grandfather who has the same first, middle & last name)…can he go by “ll” or does it have to be listed that way on his birth certificate?
    Thanks for your help!

• Yes, since your son has the same legal first, middle, and last name as his grandfather, he could use the “II” suffix if he wanted to. You don’t need legal certification to use “Sr.”, “Jr.”, “I”, “II”, etc.

• Albert Gostick says:

I am a programmer and wondering about two items (when displaying/printing names):

a) is there always a comma between either “Jr.”, “Sr.” or “III” etc

b) secondly, how is this to be printed when using lastname, firstname format

e.g.’s:

{firstname + lastname format):

William Henry Johnson, Jr.
    William Henry Johnson, III

{lastname, firstname format):

Johnson, William Henry, Jr.
    Johnson, William Henry, III

Just wondering as the debate is “raging” in my office as to how I am to program this. One person thinks that since the “Jr.” is used to disambiguate the two person then the printed output should be like this:

William, Jr., Henry Johnson
    or
    Johnson, William, Jr., Johnson

or
    William, III, Henry Johnson
    or
    Johnson, William III Henry

So is there a definitive answer or is it more that the last set is hard to say (but maybe technically correct) and so by convention we go with:

William Henry Johnson, Jr.
    etc

Thanks!
    Albert

• Hi Albert,

Yes, technically there should always be a comma between the individual’s name and their suffix. I make the mistake sometimes of not putting the comma in, although I am supposed to.

Your question about where to put the suffix when the name is in “last name, first name” format is a good one. I have always followed both the MLA and the APA guidelines, which dictate that it is to be written like so:

Johnson, William Henry, Jr.
      Johnson, William Henry, III

• Lauren Hartmann says:

My husband wants to name our son after himself he has two middle names one being his mothers maiden name in order for him to be a Jr do we have to use both middle names on his drivers license and ss card it has one middle name?? Or can we name him with one middle name and the 2nd?

• Technically, the rule is that the entire legal name (including first name, middle names, and surname) need to all be the same, in order to use a suffix. Plenty of people nickname their children “Junior” in spite of the fact that they don’t share their parents’ names, however. There’s no law saying you can’t give your child a slightly different name and still call them “Jr.” It just wouldn’t be correct is all.

• Eeman Wall says:

hi i named my son after my father’s name. So he is now the II. What is the correct arrangement on his passport since they are basing it on the birth certificate which is for example like this MARIO PAUL WALL II. This is what they put on the passport. Just want to confirm if this is the right arrangement on the passport data. Thanks

Surename: WALL II
    Forename: MARIO PAUL

• Typically, in MLA and APA format, the suffix is grouped with the given names. Technically, “Jr”, “II”, etc. are not part of the surname. I’m sure anyone reading the passport will know what it means, however.

• Frank K says:

Hi my name has the III in the suffix. We are expecting identical twin boys. I want to carry on the IV name. Do you name the first boy delivered with the IV, and some other name for the second child delivered? Thank you for your time

• joshua payes says:

Hi my name is Joshua Payes and I am having a son. I want to name him Joshua Champion Payes. Can he be jr?

• bob says:

if i am a junior and my father is still alive can i still be called the second

• Joe Lopez IV says:

Hey I had a question I am Joe Lopez IV I named my first born son Andrew 8 years ago. I am now expecting my second boy, can I name him the 5th or did I loose my chance to keep the name going? (V)

• Andrew says:

Hi Josiah, is the suffix Jr. or II typically added to the birth certificate or any other legal documents? Thanks!

• Jan says:

My husband and his father and his fathers’ father (hubby’s grandfather) have no middle name. They are Clifford Jones, Clifford Jones Jr. and Clifford Jones III. We named our 2nd son Clifford Alexander Jones. Can he be the IV?

• Dulce says:

I am naming my son after his father, same first, middle and last names. How should it be written down? Adrian Alexander Smith Jr. or Adrian Alexander Smith II , or none, I’m confused about the proper way to write it on his birth certificate, help!!!!, I am naming my son after his father, same first, middle and last names.

• Hello, wondering if I name my son after his living father can I call him the second instead of jr.

• Terri B says:

Would it be the same for naming a girl after her father as it would be to name a girl after her mother in the matters of Jr, Sr and I, II

• Yes. For instance, if a man with a gender-ambiguous named Pat Taylor Smith decided to name his daughter Pat Taylor Smith also, she could be called Pat Taylor Smith, Jr. or Pat Taylor Smith II, in order to differentiate her from her father. But, if the daughter later married someone and changed her legal name to Pat Taylor Jones, then she would no longer be a Jr. or II.

• josh says:

Hi, we are expect a son and want to give him my name but the mother wants part of her fathers name in there which i have much respect for. If im correct adding a second middle name will void giving him the suffix jr or II, such as joshua dave william johnson. Is this correct?

• Hi Josh! Yes, technically if your son has one or more different middle names than yourself, he would not be a “Jr” or a “II”. However, you could still call him “Joshua the younger” and yourself “Joshua the elder” to differentiate.

• Kanessia Moy says:

If a man have two children by different women but both women wants to name their child after the father can the first born be a Jr and the second born be a III??

• Megan Hughes says:

How do Jr and Sr work on the birth certificate?

• Maikol says:

Can those rules be apply in the USA or in Europeans countries only?

• Linda Jones says:

If my husband already has a son named after him from someone else and I wanted to also name our child after him, is that possible?

• Will says:

Went through the thread and didn’t see this one, though I unfortunately believe I know the answer.

I am having my first and only son in two weeks. My grandfather, father, and I all share the exact same name, William Theodore. I appropriately use the III.

Here’s my question: I hate my name but love tradition. I want my son to be the IV but would rather call him a different name. So I wanted to name him William Theodre Gabriel, as I want to call him Gabriel and want him to be the IV.

Can I do this or no? Please help, running out of time here!

• Hi Will,

If there is any difference in your son’s name (i.e. he has the extra name of “Gabriel,” which you and your forebears did not have), technically he wouldn’t be a “IV”. But nobody is going to put you in jail if you name him “William Theodore Gabriel” and call him “IV” anyway. It might not be correct, but it is a free country. :)

• Will says:

Literally refreshed the page and you answered.

Not what I wanted to hear but kinda knew that was the answer.

Thank you so much for clarification. This site is fantastic, you have done a wonderful thing helping all of us. Thanks again!!

• Jolene says:

Ok, so, my father in law is Michael carlyle dunck sr. My husband is Michael carlyle dunck jr. My son will be born any day now and given the same name. Does that make him the III? Will that mean my father in law (who is alive and well) will be the first and my husband will be called sr. now? Can we refer to my son as jr, or is he just ” the third”?

• Hi Jolene! Yes, if your son is named Michael Carlyle Dunck, he will be the III. Since there will be three Michael Carlyle Duncks alive at the same time, Michael I and/or Michael II can be referred to as “Sr”, while Michael II and/or Michael III can be referred to as “Jr”. How your family now assigns “Sr” and “Jr” suffixes is entirely up to your family’s discretion. Another option that many families use in this situation would be to refer to Michael III as “Michael the younger,” to refer to Michael II as “Michael the elder,” and to refer to Michael I as “Michael the eldest”.

• losova says:

Did any of you actually read the thoroughly explained article before asking your redundant questions?

• Rusty Tadflish says:

I know! These people are sooo lazy! Too lazy to think for themselves. Modish has amazing patience, suffering sooo many fools!

• Pat Jr. says:

Me and my dad have the same first and last names but our middle names are o’neal and o’neil…i wanna know am i technically a jr. or not?

• Wm A. Howell III says:

Technically you should say “my dad and I” and technically your question has been answered a billions times above. Same name

• Lisa says:

please settle an argument: when the last name Is the only name being used, as on the back of an athlete’s jersey, is it proper to include “Jr.” Or “III”? My understanding is that the suffix modifies the first, rather than the last, name and therefore does not belong on the jersey.
    Thanks.

• Wm A. Howell III says:

Are you seriously considering adding III to your son’s football jersey?!? How badly do you want him to get beaten up?

• Quan says:

Very helpful and informative, especially with each and every possible combination and suggestions that people would wonder about

• Thomas jennings says:

If my grandfather was born Thomas Jennings and used his confirmation name, Patrick, as his middle name then named his son Thomas Patrick Jennings… Is his son a I or a II?

• Wm A. Howell III says:

See any of the answers above. If the legal name is the same, add a suffix. If it’s different at all, don’t.
      Asking the same question again doesn’t make the answer any different just because it’s you asking.

• Matt Brady says:

So, is it common for people in places in Europe, like England, France, or The Netherlands to use generational name suffixes? What about Australia and New Zealand?

• Wm A. Howell III says:

No, generally not common. They think it is a tasteless affectation of the lower classes.

• John Hazlet says:

If one is a “IV” and adopts a hyphenated surname upon marriage, does one loose the hyphen? I presume so.

• Allie DI says:

Thanks for the article, the comic pictures are great haha! So my Father in Law and husband are a Sr. and Jr., same exact names, on all legal documents. If my child is a boy I plan on naming identically with a III, (all family members noted are living). Am I correct in assuming that this makes my husband a II and he should change his name legally as well on his US license and no longer be a Jr? and all the boys with the same name (i.e. if my son has a son one day will follow with roman numerals?) Thanks so much!

• Wm A. Howell III says:

Great that you liked looking at the cartoons.
      Perhaps go back and Read cartoon number four.

• Sabina says:

Sortof going with what “Jolene” said… my husband and his father have different middle names but are documented as sr. And jr. I am about to have a baby boy and want to name him after his father, middle name and all. Would my husband than be referred to as sr. And my son as jr? If so how would my husband go about changing his suffix from jr. To sr.?
    Thank u by the way i have been pondering this situation for more this and have asked all family why my husband is a jr. When he and his father do not share a middle name. I am very curious because I really would rather have my son as jr and not the lll because his name is Anthony and I would likehisnickname to be A.J. for Anthony jr.

• april says:

how about if the situation is like this …last name-first name-middle name where am i going to put the jr.

• Wm A. Howell III says:

Do you see how Josiah has given up answering the same questions over and over and over? You are the fourth (IV) person tornado this. Did you not notice as you scrolled down the page? Or are you hoping that yours is a special case, different Han everyone else and that you’ll get a different answer?
      Seriously, go up and look at the cartoons again and if you still can’t figure it out look at any of Josiah’s many answers above to the same question you are asking here.

• Mr. Smith says:

Hi. I am the II, can I still call my son the III if I give him an additional middle name, e.g. Joseph Albert Alexander Smith III when I am Joseph Albert Smith II?
    Thanks

• Rae says:

My husband wants to name a son after his father. They are Hispanic and his father’s name includes his maternal last name (first name, middle name, Mora Rivera). Our child would be sane first name middle name Mora) with no Rivera. Could the child be the second?

• Ellen says:

Eeeeppp. Okay, my husband’s name is the same, exact name as our son’s. We named him officially “II.” (Just in case he didn’t like “Jr.,” which we call him by anyway. haha) Did we do it ok? hahaha and if so, what SHOULD we refer to my husband as “Sr.?” orrr, “I?” He is the first to have his name. :) Thanks!

• Sir kindly tell me, I’m not married im 24 years old now i want to registering my self can you tell me what suffix i use? jr?

• Amber says:

Does the father have to use SR. or can the son just use jr

• idalia vela says:

If my father in law name is Maximo Garcia and my husband’s name is Maximo Garcia jr…than what would my son name b maximo Garcia ||| ?

• Michell Patterson says:

Hello, I need a little help. So my husband name is Will A Patterson Jr. and we want to name our first son Will A Patterson Jr II. We don’t want to do Will A Patterson III. Do we have to do it that way or does it make sense to do Will A Patterson Jr II?

• Antaeus Lewis says:

My son has my name and my wife and i named him the II, me and my sin are the only with this name, is that ok to call him the II?

• Comk4ver says:

My father is Jorge Rene Sr my brother though is George Rene Jr. This is inaccurate correct? But, that’s his legal name. Should it be fixed or left alone until he has kids and informally change it?

• nisha nedd says:

Are you suppose to add the jr or sr as part of the legal name.

• Brian Codilan says:

How about the McArthurs? They used suffixes even they don’t have the exactly same MIDDLE NAMES– From Arthur McArthur, Sr. to Arthur McArthur, IV. So is this an example of erronous using of the suffixes?

• Logan says:

So I’m researching my father’s ancestry and I see him referred to as the III and Jr., and then as I go back in time reading the gossip column of their comings and goings I see references to a sr., a jr., and a grandson, all with the same names, but the grandson, my father, is not referred to as the III. But at the same time a 2nd cousin shared a story and pictures of Sr., which matches up with the story of the Sr. in the newspaper, but Sr. does not share the same middle name as Jr. and III.

So I’m either to assume Sr. named his son after his father, and the writer of the column (who was the aunt of Jr.’s wife) just didn’t realize they weren’t technically Sr. and Jr. …or… The family was just abusing the rules, not knowing any better.

I’ll just have to keep digging to see if Sr.’s father comes up as the same or not. If they are following the rules, then it makes it even harder if nephews can be named after uncles or even great uncles. And the older census records are next to useless in this regard because they only list heads of household, and tick marks to indicate number of other males and females in the household.

• Chrissy says:

My husband’s name is Franklin Johnnie Miller and his father’s name is William
    Johnnie Miller. My husband’s brother’s name is William Tobias Miller II (named after his father’s father) my father-in-law is deceased and my husband want to name our son William Johnnie Miller II, would that be correct? Should we ask his brother on if he plans on using it or passing on his own name?

• Hello, my partner wants to name his son after himself and his father.. His father is sr and my partner is jr… How would the child’s name be written on the birth certificate.. Would it be John James smith, Jr III or just John James smith, III thnx

• Mike Shull says:

What if the old man were simply named “Barnabus Johnson” with no middle name, and then the son is Barnabus Ludwig Johnson?

• John Smith says:

If I am following English naming conventions, ‘IV’ comes at the end of my name. My mother is Portuguese, and according to Portuguese naming conventions, I can choose to add her maiden name just before my English surname. Example:
    English: John Smith IV
    Portuguese: John de Silva e Smith (de = of the family/families, e = and)
    My question is, can I still add the IV at the end of my name if I choose to follow the Portuguese naming convention?

• Elizabeth A A says:

Hello, my mother’s name is Sarah Elizabeth and my name is Elizabeth Anne, I have a few questions concerning this topic.
    Firstly, were I to change my name to Sariah Elizabeth (Sariah being an alternative spelling of Sarah), would I be ‘II’?
    Secondly, were I to change my name to Elizabeth Sarah, would I be ‘II’? (second given names and first given names can be used interchangeably and depend on how you write it. For example Miss Dakota Fanning’s name at birth was Hannah Dakota Fanning and her name is now Dakota Hannah Fanning without the need for it to be legally changed)

• april says:

what if the situation is like this ….last name – first name- middle name…where am i going to put the jr. ?

• My great great grandfather’s name was Thomas Grant Everett. He had a son named Earl (my great grandfather). Earl had 13 kids, one of them Marvin (my grandfather) and another Thomas Grant Everett II (my great uncle). Both Thomas Grants are deceased. My wife and I found out recently that we will be welcoming our first boy into the world later this summer and we are considering keeping that family name going and naming our little man Thomas Grant Everett III. Is this an appropriate usage of the III suffix?

• Robin says:

My great grandfather was born in 1874. He had a hyphenated last name and was born in England. Who’s last name would be the first one and who’s would be the second? Example: John Bristowe-Badcock. TY

• M.D. Sanders says:

I have a Michael Jr. which is the oldest, and my youngest son is SirMichael , if I have another son how do I properly give him the same Name???

• Angela Rucker says:

Hello,

My husbands father is named Anton LaMike Rucker, My husband is Anton LaMike Rucker Jr. His fathers wife ( my husbands step mom ) got pregnant and named their son Anton LaMike Rucker III . I’m pregnant hoping for a boy, if a boy what do I name my son since she took my husbands son name. We’re wanting to carry the whole name along.

• E. M. says:

My great grandfather is named Lewis Bryant Davis I. His son, my grandfather, is Lewis Bryant Davis II. My grandfather’s son, my uncle, is Lewis Bryant Davis III. Could I name my child Lewis Bryant Davis IV despite my father not bearing the name?

• Gavin Lance Phillips, II says:

Please help settle 2 lifelong name suffix curiosities of my family.

Of 3 boys, i was the middle child, and my dad, who was the only one of his family named Gavin, chsoe to give me his full name as well. Due to a fear of me getting labeled with the nickname Jr, he opted to use the numerals II on my birth certificate. I’m nearly 30 now, but Some people were confused when I was a child and my name and suffix was involved with something. I got confused looks as if they expected my to be a grown man with a son of my own. I am certain after reading your article but want your confirmation…. My dad used the suffix II in my name correctly right? I assume Jr or II is/was appropriate? And even though we get called Gavin Sr and Jr when needing clarification, I’m just curious if it could be correct to use the numeral I as a suffix for my dad (Gavin the first). Or does that require third same named relative before its useable.
    Something else in my family, which i now believe we were wrong about, is whether my older brothers name would meet the criteria for II as a suffix on his name. My uncle( dads brother), was killed as an adult about 10 years before my brother was born abnd to honor him, my dad name him after his brother (identical names uncle/nephew). We always debated or talked about the accuracy of my name using the II, and just never thought my brother met the criteria to use the suffix II on his name as well. We believed an uncle/nephew wasn’t applicable for any suffix, and thought it had to be direct parental type of lineage to get a suffix. I now know, thanks to you, we were wrong, but I am curious to know whether my uncles death might be some sort of technicality in my brothers situation regarding validity of using the suffix II. Could he have had II on his birth certificate as well or did the death before my brothers change the useage.

• Kelly (mama of IV) says:

Your “II” on your birth certificate is perfectly valid, just as “Jr.” would have been.

Your brother is technically a “II” as well. The naming convention is independent of death. Josiah covered this in the necronym section. The only thing your brother would not be is a Jr., since your late uncle was not his father, and Jr. and Sr. pairings are reserved for fathers and sons with the same exact name. Hope this helps!

• Mike says:

I understand how suffix and numerals work according to the conventional way. According to the traditional way, but would it not be right to do so this way? I really admire my brother and he has went through alot, he is older then me, we have different fathers, but he was raised in my family, and known by everyone(on fathers side) and well, on the mother’s side, he is actually related to them, we are all close. He was raised by my father as his own(with knowledge of his true father, which he has no memories of) I really admire him and would like to name my son Julian Leonard B****** My brother is Julian Leonard G******, I would like to name my son a II, since he was named after my brother, and he is the second Julian Leonard of all of our family, would it be wrong I understand I can do what I please, but he is THE Second Julian Leonard II.. The last name is a last name, but IT IS our family, and I want it to be known he was named after my brother,

• Mike says:

Or theoretically speaking. :-P…. Can it be considered correct, if I name him based on the fact he is Julian Leonard II…. Naming him Julian Leonard, after my brother Julian Leonard…wether the last names or not are the same, I understand the whole name is, but the whole name is the same, except for the family name which he will be Julian Leonard II….his name wouldn’t come into play, it would be on his birth certificate as Julian Leonard Butunoi II… or Julian Leonard II…Butunoi….. An example is, with the King Of the Romanians, the first one…Carol I…. King Carol I, he didn’t have any children and his nephew was king after his death….His nephew named his son Carol II, I think they had the whole name the same but what I’m saying is….It was read as Carol II…I understand he was the second, because their name’s were the same but what if they weren’t:P

• Mike says:

Sorry, adding just one last thing….shouldv’e metioned in the previous, but here it is, thank you. The people I have mentioned earlier, the kings of Romania….The first was Carol I….. he was born Prince Karl of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen being the house..(monarchy) Carol I didn’t have a child who can take the throne, (only one who died in infancy atleast) His nephew King Ferdinand I took the throne, who, in return, was succeeded by his child, King Carol II….He is Carol II…..I can’t find Carol II’s real name but I was saying I’m sure it can’t be Prince Karl of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen…but on second thought, it possibly could be, so that’s me justifying why I can name my son after my brother and be a II… I don’t know if its any different since they are Kings :-P!!!.as Carol I being the first carol as king….Carol II also had a son named Carol who is not a III? It says he was born PRince Karl of Hohenzollern, but his grandfather FErdinand I forced his parents anulment, in the romanian royal court in the 300-day period…and his name could’ve been registered as the latter with Lambrino somewhere in the name, not making him a III….his is the exact opposite, but I am thinking it could be because he wasn’t king….regardless I would like to name my child Julian Leonard II….:P can you give me any enlightenment on all that i have mentioned

• Dexter Brown says:

So just to clarify…my father, whose name is John Francis Brown, named me Joseph Dexter Brown III after his deceased father AND his deceased brother, Joseph Dexter Brown and Joseph Dexter Brown, Jr., respectively. Joseph Dexter Brown, Jr. had no issue. There is no one else in my family named Joseph Dexter Brown. My aunts say that I should be called Joseph Dexter Brown, II. Who is right?

• Patrick Flynn Jr. says:

This is soo good! Nice job. The cartoon camily trees really helped. Will need to see if my great grandfather had the same middle name (then I’d also be III)

• Roddy says:

My father is Robert Jack Evans II (his father is deceased) so if I name my child Robert Jack Evans, he will be Robert Jack Evans III, correct?

• Ro says:

My husband’s name is Jesse which is a unisex name and he is the III. we are expecting a girl and we are entertaining the thought of continuing the tradition and going with Jesse IV. I don’t see anything in the rules for jumping over to another gender but I would assume that this would work the same In this situation, is that correct?

• Joe says:

So I read the article and don’t see my exact situation.

My father is DTS. My half brother who is now deceased was DTS Jr. I am named JWS. If I wanted my son to be named DTS would he be DTS III or would I start over at DTS?

• harry bartlett, III says:

No, he is DTS II. II is used when you are named after someone other than your father (Grandfather, Uncle, etc.)

• marcus kinnon says:

I’m trying to find out what do I call my twin boys.. what I’m say is when a man has his first son he call him Jr, but what do you do when you have twin boys.. I don’t just wanna name one after me an have the other feel some type of way so what do or can I do?

• Martha Hunt says:

My son is the 1st of the 4th generation of William Henry Randolphs. His great grandfather was Jr., his grandfather was III, and his father is IV. If we were in Merry Old England, my son, as the 1st of the 4th generation, would be William Henry Randolph, XIII. However, with each generation here in the U.S., the suffixes begin again after IV so my son is WHR with no suffix. He and his wife are preparing to have a son, also named William Henry Randolph. In keeping with the tradition, he would be WHR, Jr., and his son will be III and his son will be IV and then a new 5th generation will begin. Everyone in our family disagrees with me but this is how it was explained to me by the matriarch of our family when my son was born. Unfortunately, she has passed so cannot verify. I say my son’s son, in keeping with tradition, should be WHR, Jr. Am I correct or not?

• John holland says:

If I’m the third and my father found his old birth cert and it says he’s the fourth, how would I go about naming my son the sixth, would I have to change my birth cert to prove it? I was also told it ends at 4, I’m guessing that’s BS

• harry bartlett, III says:

You don’t have to prove anything. Name your son the VI. you should also change your name to V and correct the whole mess.

It doesn’t end with any number.

• Dennis James Dougherty says:

I just had a son I named him Dennis James Dougherty 3 after me and my father but my dad says he not a third is this true

• Jody says:

We would like to name our son after my husband’s brother who is deceased. His brothers name is Brandon Jeremy White. Would we be able to name him Brandon Jeremy White II ? We live in the U.S

• […] had already a nickname so I guess the most common thing to do was giving me his nickname and adding “the second (II)” to it. Now believe me when I say that nicknames usually will stay around for a pretty long time. […]

• Debbie says:

QUESTION: We had a grandparent, son and grandson that was thought to have the exact same name. We recently found out that the grandpa’s middle name was Glen, the son was Glenn and the grandson was Glen. I don’t know if the person that filled out the birth record for the son knew that his father only had 1 N in it or what happened. But they have always called them Sr and Jr then when the grandson was born. I, II and III. My husband’s middle name is Glenn after his grandfather and his son and grandson have middle name of Glenn. My husband’s mother was the son of the above grandfather with 1 N in his middle name. She didn’t even know it had 1 N. No one knew this for sure until I sent for his birth record from 1908 that was a hand written record.

• jonny says:

I have two sons.

• Daphne lee says:

Question- my husbands first son died at birth, he was a jr. – if we have a son can he be a jr? Or will he need to be III?

• Aaron Locke says:

what is the word for the third

• Patrick says:

I was born with 2 last names in another country but in my US citizenship papers and social i only have one last name…. Can i give my son my american name and he be a jr or wpuld have to be my 2 last names for him to be a jr

• james d. marshall says:

I am naming my son after my grandfather. Neither my father or me is named after him. Does any suffix apply?

• Luis Relorcasa Jr. says:

I’m a Luis Jr., my father’s name is Luis Sr. If my baby’s name is Emmanuel Luis or Luis Emmanuel, can I use the suffix III? Me and my father have no Emmanuel in our name. Thanks so much!

• I have a question my grandfather just died but he had two son one named Elijah and the other elisha my uncle elisha was named after my grandfather my uncle had a son named after him but my cousin is the 3rd I would like to name my son after my grandfather would that make my son the 4th or no

• harry bartlett, III says:

II is used when you are named after someone other than your father (Grandfather, Uncle, etc.) Therefore, your son would be II.

• Michael says:

My grandfathers name was Michael Constantine Potts.

My fathers older brother has a son ten years older than me, also named Michael Constantine Potts (my older cousin).

My father named me Michael Constantine Potts, too.

Am i a II or a III?

• harry bartlett, III says:

II is used when you are named after someone other than your father (Grandfather, Uncle, etc.)Therefore you are II, and so is your Cousin.

• emily says:

So if my boyfriend and his dad have Same name. His dad is sr and he is Jr. If we have a boy and name him the same as his father and grandfather what would he be?

• Tracy says:

My husband is named Walter Ernest IV Perry after his father Walter Ernest III Perry. He wants to name our first son Walter Ernest Perry V to keep his family name going. Do I absolutely have to keep the middle name the same in order for our son to be V?

• Tracy says:

My husband is named Walter Ernest IV Perry after his father Walter Ernest III Perry. He wants to name our first son Walter Ernest V Perry to keep his family name going. Do I absolutely have to keep the middle name the same in order for our son to be V?

• Ashley Thomas says:

My boyfriend and I were thinking about hyphenating our last names when we get married. However, he is legally a II – it’s on this birth certificate, license, etc. – named after his father. If he was to legally change his name after we got married, would he still be the 2nd? If his last name was no longer Williams but Thomas-Williams?

• harry bartlett, III says:

First of all, if he is named after his father then he should be Jr. not II. II is used when you are named after someone other than your father (Grandfather, Uncle, etc.)
      However, if he changes his name to a hyphenated one, then he will have no suffix.

• I’ve researched a lot about naming your child Jr. after the father and most guide lines as long as it has the father’s first middle and last which is our plan but I wanted to add an additional middle name can it still be a Jr.?

• Rosendo Rodriguez says:

Im having a baby soon i wanted to name him after me im a jr. But my father isnt alive anymore so would my son be a jr and me a snr and would i have to do any changes to my name?

• harry bartlett, III says:

Your son will have to be III. When someone dies none of the suffixes change. Think about it logically, if you named you son Jr. he would be confused with you. The reason you have a suffix is to distinguish one person from another. If you start changing them you defeat that purpose.

• Trey says:

If I’m the III but I want to name my son after me can he be III JR using 2 suffixes on his name alone? And I become III SR

• harry bartlett, III says:

No. He is IV. No double suffixes and no changing suffixes along the way. Once you have a specific suffix it is yours alone forever.
      Think about it logically, if you change suffixes you would be confused with other people. Any legal document regarding one person would apply to the other. The reason you have a suffix is to distinguish one person from another. If you start changing them you defeat that purpose.

• Zakiyah says:

Could I name my son fabien Antiono Zarius Jones ii

• Zakiyah says:

Can I name my son Fabien Antiono Zarius Jones ii

• harry bartlett, III says:

If the father’s name is Fabien Antiono Zarius Jones then, no. He is the III. If the father’s name is different than Fabien Antiono Zarius Jones, but the Grandfather or an Uncle is named Fabien Antiono Zarius Jones then he would be the II. The suffix II is used when named after a relative other than the father. If you are named after your father then you are Jr, III, IV, V, etc.

• Sara White says:

Can I name my son III if his father has died, was a Jr and his father Sr is still living?

• harry bartlett, III says:

Yes, you can. When someone dies none of the suffixes change. Think about it logically, if you named you son Jr. he would be confused with his deceased father. Any legal document from the father would apply to the misnamed son. The reason you have a suffix is to distinguish one person from another. If you start changing them you defeat that purpose.

• Layla says:

If a grandmother was the same first and last name and a granddaughter was the same first and last name, but they both don’t have a middle name, is it considered a II

• Eric King (II) says:

Wow I’ve been arguing with people for 30 plus years that I’m not a Jr I’m a second and have been wrong my whole life. My father is still alive. But 2nd is on my ID so i will continue to be wrong

• Duke Nukem 3D says:

How come this type of naming doesn’t apply to females? I’m just curious.

Sarah Smith Jr.
    Sarah Smith I
    Sarah Smith II
    Sarah Smith III

• S. Bilal Clinkscale I. says:

I’m really into generational name suffixes but I’m not a Jr. Because family issues. I have my own name but in the future I plan on naming my son after me because I have a strong name. My name is Sulaiman Bilal Clinkscale. But on all my documents I put S. Bilal Clinkscale, I. instead of Sr. I think the Roman numeral name suffixes sound better on my name. The only name I like is my hero Dr. King, He was named after his father so he was Jr. But I think Jr. Fits his name. Or Our President Full legal name is Barack Hussein Obama, II. instead of Jr. I think his name sounds better with the Roman numeral suffix II. Than the traditional Jr.

Is it ok that I use the Roman Numeral suffix “I.” on the end of my name even though I haven’t had any children yet? I just love name suffixes.

• therese says:

hello
    i have a son named Albert II Galido Garzon his father’s name is Albert Garzon Jr.since he named after his late father named Albert Garzon Sr..
    so, is that means my son’s first name is only his name?
    Since i put my middle name to it.And not connected to that I his great grandpa, II his father, nor is that ok to put Albert II?

• LESLIE says:

What’s the proper way to write the last name first, first name last and the suffix?

• rufino says:

i just want to ask you guys about my suffix, i was named rufino lipata balanquit Jr of my father rufino cupido balanquit Sr (lipata is my middle name & cupido is my father’s middle name, my lipata middle name was came from my mother maiden surname) were that suffixes valid?

• Paula Camarena says:

If my husbands name is Christopher Roger Cuellar-Sampallo, and I would like my son to be a Jr will my son need to have both last names?
    We also have 2 daughters and we only have them the last name of Cuellar.

• Tere Adams says:

My name is Tere Matthew Adams if I named my son Tere Mathew Adams would he be considered a jr or no . His Matthew would have one t instead of 2 ts like mine

• jewell says:

If my husband father is angel Daniel Diaz St and my husband us angel Daniel Diaz Jr if we name our son angel Daniel Diaz what will his suffix be?
    And we are looking for grandpa because we lost touch but if we find out he’s deceased what will my husband and sons suffix be then?

• My coworker is wrong, right? says:

My coworker is trying to say his name is “John Jacob Smith I” but he ha son children or relatives with the same exact name. Please tell me he is incorrect.

• Amanda says:

Hi I have a question
    I’m pregnant and I want to name my baby after, his father.
    The father name is Tom Liam Smith Jr. Can I name my son
    Tom Bob Liam Smith 3rd. I want to add Bob, because that’s
    My father name.
    The question is ok to name my baby the 3rd?

• M.Smith says:

My husband name is Jackson Smith 4 but I want to name our son Jackson Smith 4 jr or Jackson Smith 4 ll can I? I don’t want him the jackson Smith 5.

• M.Smith says:

My husband name is Jackson Smith 4 but I want to name our son Jackson Smith 4 jr or Jackson Smith 4 ll can I? I don’t want him jackson Smith 5.

• Tamala Vanderhoof says:

My grandson was named after his father (whom is now also deceased he was alive when the child was born. ) John M Smith III.. However, I argued with my daughter on this because her husband is named after his grandfather,(whom is deceased) his mothers father. Not his father. I told her my grandson would be a Jr. No the III.. His mother also argues this point so much as to start arguments because she refuses to understand the correct way to address this. Thank you

• Tanisha Thomas says:

I want to name my son after his father but he already has a son named after him can I still name by son after his father and would that make him the lll ?

• Cali says:

If the daddy name is spelled Fard and I spell the baby name Fa’rd is he still a JR?